Dec 072017

Let’s just get this out of the way right now: THIS IS ROLLING STONE’S LIST. IT IS NOT OUR LIST. THIS IS ROLLING STONE’S LIST. IT IS NOT OUR LIST.

If you thought that was already so obvious that only an idiot would need to be told, well, you obviously don’t remember the famous/infamous Comment No. 7 to our re-post of Rolling Stone’s list in 2013. Though you may have seen how that has been transformed into a running joke every fucking year since then. The only uncertainty now is who will be the first person to do it on this post.

Anyway, Rolling Stone magazine published their list of the 20 Best Metal Albums of 2017 yesterday. This year they also preceded it with a very nice video that ticked off the winners, followed by a more expansive print discourse on each selection.

In an interesting coincidence (I assume it’s a coincidence, just as I assume conspiracy theorists have another explanation involving Cypriot bank accounts and deep state internet tunneling), this list and the one that appeared a day earlier at Revolver (re-posted here) have the same album at No. 1, and another one appears in the Top 5 of both of them.

And there are still two albums, but only two, that have appeared on all four of the lists we’ve re-published so far in LISTMANIA 2017 — the ones by Power Trip and Converge. This list also includes Bell Witch, Krallice, and Pyrrhon, in addition to a lot of bigger names, and that’s gratifying. It will also induce me to listen to at least a couple of albums I haven’t heard yet. But basically…

THIS IS ROLLING STONE’S LIST. IT’S NOT OUR LIST.

(To see that video I mentioned and to read the explanations for each pick, go HERE.)

20. Krallice – “Go Be Forgotten“
06. Pallbearer – “Heartless“
05. Elder – “Reflections Of A Floating World“
04. Mastodon – “Emperor Of Sand“
03. Circle – “Terminal“
02. Converge – “The Dusk In Us“
01. Code Orange – “Forever“

27 Responses to “LISTAMNIA 2017: ROLLING STONE’S 20 BEST METAL ALBUMS OF 2017”

1. Andy Synn says:

A running joke you say?

“Code Orange? That’s laughable! Gorguts put out the best METAL album this year – don’t deny it. Stop trying to be different – you’re only appealing to hipsters. Have fun with that. I thought i’d found a credible metal music site to frequent. Apparently not – laters!”

2. Andy Synn says:

Also, there wasn’t really any uncertainty was there?

3. Very cool that the new Morbid Angel made the list 🙂

4. Lizardman says:

I notice Mastodon has hovered around the third or fourth spot of each publication list and while I’m not questioning their popularity and ability to sell records, I just can’t get into their music for the life of me. I’m curious what makes them so relevant? I just feel their sound is so well-trodden in that avenue of prog-metal that I struggle to see why they consistently top these lists. I’m not trolling; just curious.

Regardless, glad to see Pyrrhon getting some recognition!

• Surgicalbrute says:

Name recognition…Crack the Sky was a breakthrough album for them, and now, as long as they don’t totally shit the bed, you’ll see them pop up over and over again for the next few years.

It’s the same reason Electric Wizard is even on this list

5. Eli says:

Not bad, it has a few generic picks and it obviously lacking Black Metal but it’s not the Deafhaven shit show like their last one.

6. Eli says:

I also appreciate the Elder pick

• The Grabster says:

I agree 100%. Elder’s “Reflections Of A Floating World” is one of my top 2 or 3 for the year. Amazing record.

7. Surgicalbrute says:

Go to bed Rolling Stone, you’re drunk

8. brklyner says:

Nice to see Mutoid Man get a shout, despite the horrendous cover on that album. They may not be extreme, but they are extremely fun to listen to and especially to see perform.

9. GhostKey says:

For a Rolling Stone list, that’s pretty nice set actually.

10. Dave says:

Rolling Stone? They still cover music?

11. barumba says:

Even a famous generalist UK newspaper makes is own. Much rock very few metal none extrem
    Converge is in.

12. Bobby Is A Metal Junky says:

Krallice and Pyrrhon? On a Rolling Stones list? How much did you pay them to throw those names in, Islander? ahaha. Otherwise… I feel like I’ve read this list before…