Devin Townsend will be releasing two albums on June 21 via InsideOut Music, Ghost and Deconstruction. According to DT, Deconstruction will be “brutal in a lot of parts, but pretty glorious in others. It rides the fence of negativity but ultimately ends supremely positive.” As for Ghost, he says it “is the mellowest (by far) and prettiest record I’ve done so far” with a “very wonderful vibe.” So, guess which one we’re more interested in hearing?
Our interest in Deconstruction was piqued today by seeing additional details about the album (which we’re late noticing), and in particular about the guest musicians who participated in recording the songs. Let’s start with the skins: There will be two different drummers — Ryan Van Poederooyen (Terror Syndrome, The Devin Townsend Band) for the “crushing stuff,” and Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork, Scarve, Aborted) for the “inhuman stuff.”
But that’s just for starters. Check out this list of additional guest musicians who will appear on the album:
* Mikael Åkerfeldt (OPETH, BLOODBATH)
* Ihsahn (EMPEROR)
* Tommy Rogers (BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME)
* Joe Duplantier (GOJIRA)
* Greg Puciato (THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN)
* Floor Jansen (AFTER FOREVER, REVAMP)
* Oderus Urungus (GWAR)
* Paul Masvidal (CYNIC)
* Fredrik Thordendal (MESHUGGAH)
* Paul Kuhr (NOVEMBER’S DOOM)
That’s a pretty fucking good advertisement for Deconstruction, don’t you think? After the jump, you can see the track list and which songs feature which of these guests.
Deconstruction track listing:
01. Praise The Lowered (feat. Paul Kuhr of NOVEMBERS DOOM) (6:02)
02. Stand (feat. Mikael Åkerfeldt) (9:36)
03. Juular (feat. Ihsahn) (3:46)
04. Planet Of The Apes (feat. Tommy Rogers) (10:59)
05. Sumeria (feat. Joe Duplantier, Paul Masvidal) (6:37)
06. The Mighty Masturbator (feat. Greg Puciato) (16:28)
07. Pandemic (feat. Floor Jansen) (3:29)
08. Deconstruction (feat. Oderus Urungus, Fredrik Thordendal) (9:27)
09. Poltergeist (4:25)
Awesome! That has got to be good, no other option.
Indeed. And it’s about time we had a 16-minute Devin Townsend song about masturbation. I wonder if it will fall into the “brutal” or “pretty glorious” category? Probably both.
His hands could give it away…
This album might actually end up being too good. There was some serious jaw dropping when I read that list of guest musicians.
Mind = Blown…Consequently, Load = Blown as well
I suppose I’m not the only one who’s near-gasping to hear what Devin Townsend, Joe Duplantier, and Paul Masvidal sound like on the same song.
That is insane. It made my day.
If you search on Youtube you’ll find a low-quality version of that exact song, “Sumeria”, taken from an Internet radio show.