As part of our annual LISTMANIA series we re-publish “best album” lists from some of the the few surviving print publications that cover metal, and from a handful of “big platform” sites that include metal in their coverage, along with a range of other music genres and other aspects of popular culture.
Of course, as soon as you see the words “popular culture” you know there’s not going to be too much attention devoted to the kind of music we cover at NCS. But it’s still amusing, and sometimes even edifying, to get a glimpse of what the above-ground world is seeing acclaimed as metal’s best releases.
Yesterday (or maybe the day before) Revolver magazine published their list of “The 25 Best Albums of 2019” on-line (a reduction from 30 in 2018). Revolver claims that “millions of passionate consumers” visit their website and view their videos across desktop and mobile; that the print edition is the “biggest hard-rock and metal magazine in North America,” with a subscriber base that’s three times larger than the “next biggest U.S. metal print publication”; and that they have a “highly engaged social following with over 1B impressions per month across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.”
If you happen to be unfamiliar with Revolver, you’ll notice from one of those quotations that they cover hard rock as well as metal, which will be equally evident from a perusal of this new list. And don’t go into it expecting to have your eyes opened to some new underground gem you haven’t heard of. And try not to groan too loudly when you come to Revolver’s picks for the top two albums of the year (hint: there are plenty of other groaners on the list). On the other hand, you will also see Blood Incantation, Venom Prison, Rammstein, and Gatecreeper on the list, and probably some others that will bring some good memories.
To see Revolver’s brief characterizations of each album (with links to reviews) and explanations for the choices, go HERE.
25. Blood Incantation – Hidden History of the Human Race
24. Wicca Phase Springs Eternal – Suffer On
23. The Devil Wears Prada – The Act
22. SeeYouSpaceCowboy – The Correlation Between Entrance and Exit Wounds
21. 3TEETH – Metawar
20. Ithaca – The Language of Injury
19. Fury – Failed Entertainment
18. Angel Du$t – Pretty Buff
17. Venom Prison – Samsara
16. Une Misère – Sermon
15. Korn – The Nothing
14. Russian Circles – Blood Year
13. Chelsea Wolfe – Birth of Violence
12. Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes – End of Suffering
11. Jinjer – Macro
10. Rammstein – Rammstein
9. Spirit Adrift – Divided by Darkness
8. Brutus – Nest
7. Devil Master – Satan Spits on Children of Light
6. Killswitch Engage – Atonement
5. Baroness – Gold & Grey
4. Knocked Loose – A Different Shade of Blue
3. Gatecreeper – Deserted
2. Slipknot — We Are Not Your Kind
1. Tool – Fear Inoculum