Dec 012016

NCS The Best of 2016 graphic

We’re now beginning the final month of 2016, and you know what that means: Now begins the final countdown to the end of the year (and the strengthening onslaught of the annual holiday season). In the world of metal, this month we’ll also start seeing more and more lists of the year’s best releases.

Back in 2009, when this site was just a few days old, I wrote a post about year-end lists and why people bother with them. The best reason still seems to be this: Reading someone else’s list of the albums they thought were best is a good way to discover music you missed and might like.

We don’t do an “official” NCS year-end “best albums” list. However, we publish the picks of each of our regular staff writers as well as a large group of guest writers (which we’ll start doing later this month). Every year we also invite our readers to share their lists and we’re doing that again right here, right now.

gustave-dore-satan

If you’ve been pondering what you’ve heard this year and have made your own list of the albums, EPs, or splits released in 2016 that you think are the best of what you’ve heard, we invite you to share it with us in the Comments section to this post. And if you haven’t made a list yet but want to, there’s still plenty of time (read below).

We don’t have any hard-and-fast rules about year-end lists. Your list doesn’t have to be a specific number — it doesn’t have to be a “Top 10″ or “Top 20″ list, it could be a Top 2 list or a Top 15, or any other number.

And it doesn’t have to be a cross-genre list, i.e., the best of all metal you’ve heard this year. It could be the best hardcore albums you heard, or the best death metal, or the best black metal, or the best grind, or the best folk metal, and on and on — pretty much whatever you want to do and feel comfortable doing, as long as it fits your definition of metal.

Don’t be shy, and don’t worry about being judged — if you haven’t figured it out already, it ain’t our style or the style of our commenters to ridicule what someone else thinks is great metal.

And if you don’t have a list ready yet, no sweat, because you can come back to this post whenever you like and add your list later — or comment on the lists others have posted. I’ll put a link to this post at the top right side of every page so people can find it quickly — look for the link to 2016 NCS READERS’ YEAR-END LISTS. That will make the comments to this post a collection point for “Best of” readers’ lists. And that link will stay on our page throughout 2017.

So start thinking and start commenting (please, and thank you).

264 Responses to “LISTMANIA 2016: AN INVITATION FOR READERS’ LISTS OF THE YEAR’S BEST METAL”

1. RagE says:

Zeal and Ardor – Devil is Fine
    Aenaon – Hypnosophy
    Anagnorisis – Peripeteia
    Hannes Grossmann – The Crypts of Sleep
    Cloat – S/T
    Ghoul – Dungeon Bastard

Some others were pretty good, but not really worth mentioning. Will see how i feel in 6 months tho. need to listen more to a ton of releases.

• RagE says:

Ok, Bölzer also gets a spot on the list

• Gorger says:

I was actually a little bit disappointed by them, and a mere “good” just don’t do it in this rat race competition, I’m afraid. I was even more disappointed with Aenaon. Their previous album was amazing, but Hypnosophy became a bit to splayed and far to big-band jazz for my liking. Just getting it of my chest.
        By June, you’ll be buried alive, only halfway through the first tonn, you’ll already have another metric tonn to listen to.
        Never heard of Anagnorisis, but it sure sounds good.

• Islander says:

i have no inside info, but I’m willing to bet that Aenaon is the one that will be on Andy’s “Disappointing” list this year (see below). And one reason I’m willing to bet is that I’m betting with your money.

• Kishor says:

Bolzer failed to connect with me as well, aside from a couple of tracks.

• SurgicalBrute says:

It didnt click for me either on my first couple listens, but everyone Ive heard who seems to like it says it takes awhile to actually grow on you. I plan to give it a bit more time before making a final judgement on it

• Kishor says:

For sure. I can’t tell how much of my reaction was just being put off by some of the vocals, and there were some standout parts. I’ll give it a chance when I’m in the right mood.

• Booker says:

Wait, metal that strays into big band jazz territory? that is my fucking favourite kind of big band music. I have to listen to this right now!

• Andy Synn says:

So, ONE of those is probably going to end up on my “Disappointing” list. I am prepared for the flame-war.

• Manticore says:

That Zeal and Ardor record was an odd listen. I certainly approve of the melding of styles on display—they certainly suit the lyrical themes and overall mood—but I don’t think they’ve quite perfected the combination yet. I eagerly anticipate what they’ll do next, however. Even if it’s not perfect, it should be fascinating.

2. Michael Dunn says:

Devin Townsend Project- Transcendence
    Gorguts- Pleiades Dust
    Dark Funeral- Where Shadows Forever Reign
    Insomnium- Winter’s Gate
    Agoraphobic Nosebleed- ARC
    Ghoul- Dungeon Bastards

Didn’t get to hear as much metal this year as I would have liked, but there you go.

• Islander says:

Judging by how often I’m seeing that Ghoul name in this comment thread, I’m thinking I made a mistake in not making time for it. They played here in Seattle last night, and I probably made a mistake not being there too.

3. BMF says:

All three of the releases Phillipe Tougas was involved in this year – Chthe’ilist, Zealotry and First Fragment.
    Insomnium – Winter’s Gate
    Vektor – Outer Isolation
    King Goat – Conduit
    Khemmis – Hunted
    Witherscape – The Northern Sanctuary
    Fleshgod Apocalypse – King
    Hyperion – Seraphical Euphony

That’s my current Top 10, with Meshuggah, Gorguts, Textures, Ravensire and Inter Arma just missing out.

Ulcerate is next up in my listening queue – and, based on past experience, they are likely to jump this lineup within minutes of pressing play.

• Proteus says:

You mean “Terminal Redux”, right?

• BMF says:

Whoops – brain fart. Yes, I meant “Teminal Redux.” I’ve been listening to all of their albums a lot this year…

• Kyle says:

I really like everything on your list. Hyperion is my #1 and a lot of your others are in my top ten. Only one I’ve never heard of is King Goat so I’m listening to that now and I really like it. Thanks!

• BMF says:

Thanks! That King Goat album was possibly the year’s biggest surprise – you can thank Angry Metal Guy for bringing it to a wider audience. He called it “Candlemass-core,” which is a genre the evolution of which I fully support.

• Manticore says:

Funny, I got into the strangest argument with an acquaintance about Chthe’ilist when I suggested half-jokingly that the Le Dernier Crépuscule did the whole Old World black-sabbaths-and-tarantelles kitsch vibe really well. Totally flew off the handle about Satanic imagery and Finnish death metal and… I was quite bemused, to tell you the truth. Regardless, it’s a fun album. Great production, really solid songwriting.

I’ve heard good things about the new Fleshgod, but not a lot of things, so I’m a little curious about it.

4. Sopadeloro says:

Ondt Blod – Finnmark
    Nordjevel – Nordjevel
    Kvelertak – Nattesferd
    The Dillinger Escape Plan – Dissociation
    Architects – All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us

• Muddy Ravine says:

Others I suspect will eventually make it on to the 2016 list, but haven’t gotten around to really spending time with them due to bedgetary constraints:
      Ulcerate – Shrines of Paralysis
      Oranssi Pazuzu – Varahtelija
      Thy Catafalque – Meta
      Car Bomb – Meta
      Alcest – Kodama
      Ulver – ATGCLVLSSCAP
      Wardruna – Ragnarok

and since I’m including Ulver and Wardruna, a couple of non-metal albums that I did buy and love this year:
      Jóhann Jóhannsson – Arrival OST
      O’Brother – Endless Light

• Booker says:

Just checked out O’Brother. Interesting stuff, definitely some leanings towards metal going on there. And I loves me some sci-fi soundtrack so I’ll give Arrival a crack too. Thanks for the recommendations!

• Islander says:

I loved Arrival, and thought the score brilliantly meshed with the mysterious, almost dreamlike ambience and pacing of the movie. I didn’t realize the soundtrack had been released, so many thanks for your mention of it.

• Muddy Ravine says:

Yeah O’Brother is really close to metal, could almost be included in a metal list, I guess I get just enough of a Jane’s Addiction alternative type feeling (not saying they sound like Jane’s, but Jane is also just not metal) to put it in a non-metal list. And the Arrival soundtrack, yeah it just oozes atmosphere. I noticed on the second watching of the movie that there is a lot of water in the movie: clouds, fog, car washes, lakes and the soundtrack works perfectly with that, especially the fog

• Muddy Ravine says:

OK so the six albums I actually ended up buying were:
      Inter Arma – Paradise Gallows
      Harakiri for the Sky – III: Trauma
      Khonsu – The Xun Protectorate
      Kilner – Walk Type
      Ulcerate – Shrines of Paralysis
      Ion Dissonance – Cast the First Stone

and have also been enjoying:
      Setentia – Darkness Transcend

Hammers of Misfortune – Dead Revolution
    Oathbreaker – Rheia
    Setentia – Darkness Transcend
    Be’Lakor – Vessels
    Cult Of Luna – Mariner

• gknw says:

I forgot probably the absolute best, the new Coultes Des Ghoules of course.

• DaNasher says:

The new Cultes Des Ghoules – Coven, Or Evil Ways Instead Of Love has only been leaked and is a February 2017 release so technically not a this year contender.

• Islander says:

Not true. My copy of the digi-book double CD, which I had pre-ordered, arrived at my home last week. I know that the Hells Headbangers Bandcamp page for the album shows a release date of Feb 17, but that’s for the digital edition. They’ve been shipping the CDs since late November, and even the Bandcamp page says that CD orders will ship out within 2 days.

• SurgicalBrute says:

Double digi-book was released October 31…standard digi-book was released November 25th

• gknw says:

They really messed up with the release date, It’s misleading.

• Gorger says:

I’ve failed finding time for this megalithic piece. I’ve been considering awaiting the digital release date, but that’s unfortunate if it’s good enough to squeeze in on the year-end list.

• gknw says:

Sorry I mistyped *Glorior Belli and *Cultes des Ghoules writing from phone.

8. A Field Has No Name says:

Inter Arma “Paradise Gallows”

Mizmor “Yodh”

Altarage “Nihl”

Slaves BC “All Is Dust and I Am Nothing”

Vermin Womb “Decline”

Blood Incantation “Starspawn”

Ulcerate “Shrines of Paralysis”

Anaal Nathrakh “The Whole of the Law”

CHTHE’ILIST “Le Dernier Crépuscule”

Denouncement Pyre “Black Sun Unbound”

Gevurah “Hallelujah!”

Graves at Sea “The Curse That Is”

9. No Refugee says:

Oranssi Pazuzu – – Värähtelijä
    Ovaryrot – – Suicide Ideation
    Enthean – – Priests of Annihilation
    Panopticon / Waldgeflüster – – Split
    Unfathomable Ruination – – Finitude
    Khemmis – – Absolution
    Mephistopheles – – In Remembrance of Forever
    Radian – – On Dark Silent Off
    Ossuary Anex – – Mutilation Through Prayer
    Deviant Process – – Paroxysm
    Svmerlands – – S/T

• No Refugee says:

FVCK I forgot about that Inter Arma!

• Warphine says:

Finally, someone else with Unfathomable Ruination! Kudos!!!

• Warphine says:

Some of my top albums so far (in no particular order):

Ripper – Experiment of Existence
      Ruinous – Graves of Ceaseless Death
      Scorched – Echoes of Dismemberment
      Spirit Adrift – Chained to Oblivion
      Witherscape – The Northern Sanctuary
      Aenaon – Hypnosophy
      Fifth to Infinity – Omnipotent Transdimensional Soulfire

Most disappointing albums of the year:
      Blues Pills – Lady in Gold
      Cult of Fire – Life, Sex & Death

• Bill Flo says:

I checked the Unfathomable Ruination based on its inclusion here (and the comments below). Holy shit. Great call, great record.

10. slamtastic says:

Mortalized-complete mortality
    Deathspell Omega-the synarchy of molten bones
    Ulcerate-shrines of paralysis
    Behexen -the poisonous path
    Martyrdod -list

11. ExPhile says:

Yanked from a list so albums aren’t mention but you get the idea.

Hexvessel
    Minneriket
    Pylah
    Profanal
    Nebrus

• ExPhile says:

*mentioned

Also no real order but the new Arizmenda (the good digital version that’s now vanished) and that Ayahuasca one are probably my faves.

• Islander says:

Some very deep cuts on here. Makes me realize that despite how much metal I listened to this year, there’s still a vast underground trove that I never made time for.

• ExPhile says:

Same here really; this has been my least exploratory year so far. So much I’ve missed out on and I think I was just lucky to find the ones I did.

12. Tragon says:

In no particular order, the albums on my EoY are:

Be’lakor – Vessels
    Ravencult – Force of Profanation
    UR – R’lyeh
    Paganland – From Carpathian Land
    Ossuary Anex – Mutilation Through Prayer
    Borknagar – Winter Thrice
    Urgehal – Aeons in Sodom
    Novembre – Ursa
    Belenos – Kornôg
    In the Woods… – Pure
    Urfaust – Empty Space Meditation
    Deathspell Omega – The Synarchy of Molten Bones
    Battle Dagorath – I – Dark Dragons of the Cosmos
    Deathkin – Kohti Kotiani Kaaosta

We have a full month ahead of us, things might still change…

• Islander says:

They may indeed. There are still some potential gems headed our way in December.

• Booker says:

After Batushka sneaked that one on us, I don’t think we’ll be overlooking December again…

• Kishor says:

I like the Batushka album, love those baritone vocals, but I don’t understand the amount of praise they get. Like some other recent black metal albums, I thought “Litourgiya” played it too safe in terms of songwriting and melody. Seems like those songs could have been written any time over the past twenty years, you know? Not to crap on your taste here, just talking.

• Booker says:

Yeah granted that any album that receives copious praise does tend to make you think it’s overblown. And song-wise, I don’t regard them as particularly breaking new ground; for me, it’s more there’s a raw passion in it that just gets me fired up. Throw in some religious chants in a language I don’t understand, and it ticks the right boxes – each to their own 🙂

• Kishor says:

Don’t get me wrong, I dig the album. The chanting is awesome. I just have a fondness for more quirky and/or distinctive melodies, and songs that go more places, if that makes sense. If the chanting was any less cool, the whole thing would come off as a gimmick.

• Islander says:

Deathkin! Just discovered that one yesterday and hoping to make room for it on some future post…. I also completely forgot about that Novembre album.

13. Horsecow says:

My metal picks, in no particular order…

Car Bomb – Meta

Dark Tranquility – Atoma
    Wo Fat – Midnight Cometh
    Inter Arma – Paradise Gallows
    Witherscape – The Northern Sanctuary
    Sabaton – The Last Stand
    XII Boar – Beyond the Valley of the Triclops
    Inquisition – Bloodshed Across…
    In the Woods… – Pure
    Blood Incantation – Starspawn
    Helion Prime – s/t
    Sumerlands – s/t
    SubRosa – For This We Fought the Battle of Ages
    Thy Catafalque – Meta
    Hyperion – Seraphical Euphony
    Katatonia – The Fall of Hearts
    Haken – Affinity
    Theocracy – Ghost Ship
    Testament – Brotherhood of the Snake

• BMF says:

I’m happy to see I’m not the only power metal fan around these parts. Dark Forest, Helion Prime and Sumerlands would have all made my list if this was All Clean Singing.com

15. SurgicalBrute says:

Shit…I guess I need to actually get writing at some point if I want to have an actual list to post here

16. Vektor – Terminal Redux
    Zhrine – Unortheta
    Sinistro – Semente
    Opeth – Sorceress
    Torrid Husk / The End – Swallow Matewan
    Gilded Lily – Mongrel’s Light
    Oathbreaker – Rheia

I’ve only heard the new Ash Borer twice, but I bet it’s going to be up there as well.

17. Kishor says:

I’m bad at lists, but this year I’ve enjoyed:

Gorguts – Pleiades’ Dust
    Ulcerate – Shrines Of Paralysis
    Plebeian Grandstand – False Highs, True Lows
    Wormed – Krighsu
    Vektor – Terminal Redux
    Meshuggah – The Violent Sleep Of Reason
    Grave Miasma – Endless Pilgrimage
    Ritual Chamber – Obscurations (To Feast On The Seraphim)
    Mortichnia – Heir To Scoria And Ash
    Setentia – Darkness Transcend
    Virvum – Illuminance
    Unfathomable Ruination – Finitude
    Skuggsja – A Piece For Mind And Mirror

and lately I’ve been spending some time with the Dead Congregation and Sunless EPs, Khonsu, Voidthrone, and Zhrine, and was favorably struck by Inverloch and Australis.

18. Brian says:

No Trust – Heavy Hand
    Homewrecker – Extinction by Design
    Flom – Elders
    Oarfish – Oarfish
    High Command – The Secartha Demos

• Lenny says:

Looks like a lot of people are gonna pick that Hyperion. Wasn’t aware so many people were hip to it.
      Damn good huh? And I just downloaded that High Command, it kicks ass!
      I so thought Cobalt would be my #1 for months but Hunted was just so mammoth that it bludgeoned it way to the top.

• Islander says:

I overlooked that Hyperion album until I went through the comments on our post soliciting “most infectious song” candidates for this year, and that Hyperion album turned out to be one of the most frequently appearing sources of recommendations.

• HighZoolander says:

How did I miss a Moonsorrow album this year? I just heard one song after seeing your list, and it sounds like this is quite good.

19. Lord_Farin says:

ADE – Carthago Delenda Est
    Harakiri For The Sky – III: Trauma
    Altar of Oblivion – Barren Grounds
    From the Vastland – Chamrosh
    Anciients – Voice from the Void
    Netherbird – The Grander Voyage

… plus probably a good handful of albums from October, November and December that I haven’t had time to listen to enough to justify placing them on par with the above. I’m slow, I know.

20. Willick says:

26. Alcest- Kodama
    27. Virvum- Illuminance
    28. Rotting Christ- Rituals
    29. Abbath- Abbath
    30. Moonsorrow- Jumalten Aika

21. sircurl says:

I still have year end lists to comb through, but based on what I’ve been listening to this year:

(in no particular order)
    Anicon – Exegeses
    Mizmor – Yodh
    Howls of Ebb – Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic Vows
    Lotus Thief – Gramarye
    Sun Worship – Pale Dawn
    Qrixkuor – Three Devils Dance
    Inter Arma – Paradise Gallows
    Oranssi Pazuzu – Värähtelijä
    Eight Bells – Landless

22. kazz says:

Snap. At this point my list of albums that I’m still really looking forward to hearing might end up being almost as good as a “best of”. I haven’t matched the sheer number of albums I listened to in years past and haven’t spent as much time with some of these as I’d like, but here’s what I’ve got at this point:

1. Howls of Ebb
    24. Stone Magnum
    25. Necromancing the Stone
    26. Blood Incantation
    27. Thrawsunblat
    28. Ningen Isu
    29. Destroyer 666
    30. Bolzer (just listened to it yesterday, but my initial impression is good)

23. ZackCrownInitiate says:

In alphabetical order because I’m cool like that

Anicon – Exegeses
    Nordjevel – S/T
    Uada – Devoid of Light
    Unfathomable Ruination – Finitude
    Wormed – Krighsu
    Zhrine – Unortheta

24. brklyner says:

I’m a dork, so I started to keep a running list in May or June and it turned out to be a never-ending exercise in revisiting records and revising my opinions. My main criterium was how much enjoyment I got out of each record (plus I tend to be biased by live performances). I could keep doing this for another six months, but might as well call it now. I’m pretty set on the order in the top half of this list and feel very strongly about the top 4, each of which I think I will be listening to for many years to come.

1 – Vektor: Terminal Redux
    42 – Unfathomable Ruination: Finitude
    43 – Glorior Belli: The Flock that Welcomes Sundown
    44 – Black Table: Obelisk
    45 – Bölzer: Hero
    46 – Void Omnia: Dying Light
    47 – Draugnim: Vulturine
    48 – Gevurah: Hallelujah!
    49 – Nadra: Allir Vegir til Glotunar
    50 – Wode: Wode

Honorable mentions:
    Stilla: Skuggsflock
    Anagnorisis: Peripeteia
    Skaphe: Skaphe2
    LVTHN: Eradication of Nescience
    Oozing Wound: Whatever Forever
    Forteresse: Themes Pour la Rebellion
    Mare Cognitum: Luminiferous Aether
    Tarnkappe: Winterwaker
    Graves at Sea: The Curse that is
    Auroch: Mute Books

• Andy Synn says:

That Eschatos album is really good (should have a Synn Report for them next year sometime), but it was originally released at the tail-end of 2015… so I don’t feel right including it in this year’s list(s).

Same with The Infernal Sea.

• brklyner says:

Dang, didn’t realize that. Eschatos caught me by surprise, really solid record.

• Gorger says:

Serpents Lair, Gorrch, Khthoniik Cerviiks, Zørormr, Grey Heaven Fall, Serpent Seed, The Shiva Hypothesis and Blot suffer the same destiny as The Infernal Sea on my part. Did I discover the latter thanks to you? Very possible.
        I almost find it legit to add second-half-of-December releases to next year’s list. Almost.

• ZackCrownInitiate says:

It’s not a competition buddy, hahaha

• Gorger says:

A.M.S.G. and Eschatos sounds like awesome gems.
      Islander claims these list are a great way of discovering such.
      I say it’s a great way of inducing a guilt-trip for all the gems I’ve lost out on, dammit.

• brklyner says:

I’m kinda surprised not to see A.M.S.G. on more lists. I could listen to that record all day and night. So vile, dense and dark, yet containing great hooks and fantastic songwriting. Very close to being my number one for the year if it wasn’t for Vektor’s excellence in absolutely every department.

• Lenny says:

That Black Table is greatness. It just missed my list as I cut off at 20. Oh and that Eschatos was super close to making it too. Just too many insane records this year and I felt 20 was enough.

25. Bill Flo says:

Wyrding–S/T Just about my favorite record of the year, puzzled that very few other folks seem to be talking about it.
    Auroch–Mute Books
    Inter Arma–Paradise Gallows
    Alcest–Kodama
    Mithras–On Strange Loops
    Old Graves–Long Shadows
    Wormed–Krighsu
    Zeal & Ardor–Devil is Fine
    Darkthrone–Arctic Thunder
    Astronoid–Air
    Rebel Wizard–Triumph of Gloom
    Ascendance–Miserliness
    Forteresse–Themes Pour la Rebellion
    Funeral Mourning–Intertia of Dissonance (A Sermon in Finality)

And a few that are mostly electronic but creepy, abrasive, or unsettling enough to appeal to metal fiends:
    Valerio Tricoli–Clonic Earth
    Puce Mary–The Spiral
    Mika Vainio–Mannerlaatta
    Tim Hecker–Love Streams

Keep up the good work, NCS!

26. embalmfist says:

6. Primordial – Shadow of Intent
    7. Swine Overlord – Entheogenesis
    8. Dawn of Disease – Worship the Grave
    9. Mare Cognitum – Luminiferous Aether
    10. Blade of Horus – Monumental Massacre

• Painbringer says:

Actually, number 6 should be: Shadow of Intent – Primordial. And I would also add honorable mention: Infinite Density – Recollapse of the Universe

28. DaNasher says:

So many list already! I dread making mine but I always wait till after Christmas as I don’t run like a Magazine publication. This was another awesome year for Metal with some killer stuff still on the way.

29. Mr. Schmitt says:

Kryptos – Burn Up the Night

30. function says:

In alphabetical order / EPs/Demos included

Blood Incantation – Starspawn
    Cancer – Terminal
    Death Fetishist – Clandestine Sacrament
    Funeral Mourning – Inertia Of Dissonance (A Sermon In Finality)
    Fvnerals – Wounds
    Sol Sistere – Unfading Incorporeal Vacuum
    Ulcerate – Shrines Of Paralysis
    Urfaust – Empty Space Meditation
    Veneficium – Demo
    Voidspawn – Pyrrhic

31. Mick says:

You can count on another list from us!

32. Hawk says:

My top 10 for now. Small changes may happen between 06 and 10.
    There may be changes higher up, but I think it’s unlikely.

Top 10 – 2016

01 – The Infernal Sea – The Great Mortality
    02 – Allegaeon – Proponents for Science
    03 – Netherbird – The Grander Voyage
    04 – Wode – Wode
    05 – Watchtower – Concepts of Math: Book One
    06 – Wolverine – Machina Viva
    07 – Dark Funeral – Where Shadows Forever Reign
    08 – Anaal Nathrakh – The Whole of the Law
    09 – Devin Townsend Project – Transcendence
    10 – Opeth – Sorceress

• Gorger says:

As Andy mentions under Comment 24, The Great Mortality was initially released in 2015. On the other hand, that was just on cassettes limited to 100 copies, whilst CD, LP and digital(?) releases were dropped this year. I wish it’d been a 2016 release, as I want it on my list too.

• Andy Synn says:

They actually self-released a cd version in 2015 too, which I also have.

• Gorger says:

Never put your full confidence in Metal Archives. About damn time I learn this now.

• Hawk says:

Not this again!

Listen, the band themselves consider the official release date of ‘The Great Mortality’ to be Februari the 19th 2016. Both the cassette and the initial cd release were very limited editions before the regular release of the album.

The 19th Februari release date 2016 is mentioned on their Bandcamp page on their Facebook en in an answer to me when I asked them about this. See here:

• Andy Synn says:

Hey, if you want to count it as this year, feel free.

But considering the original independent release was definitely in 2015 (I received my cd copy in October, and reviewed the album month), and we, and several others, featured it prominently in our end of year round-up for 2015… we’re going to stick with that.

I’m fine with it being re-released this year. It definitely deserves more attention and wider exposure. But we counted it last year, so we’re not going to count it again.

33. Arikael says:

01 – Thränenkind – King Apathy (just hit a sweet spot between post and black metal)
    02 – Uada – Devoid of Light (just “fun” melodic black metal with a raw touch)
    03 – Ashbringer – Yugen (that’s how atmospheric black metal should sound like)
    04 – Be’Lakor – Vessel (definitly a slight departure of the typical sound and a improved over the last album which showed signs of stagnation)
    04 – Adam Angst – Adam Angst (sweet fun and political german punk/hardcore)
    05 – Netherbird – The Grander Voyage (took me by surprise)
    06 – Morrow – Covenant of Teeth (love me some crust)
    07 – Anaal Nathrakh – The whole of the law (that’s how depravity and armaggedon probably sound like…)
    08 – Crippled Black Phoenix – Bronze (sometimes weird combination of psychodelic rock and melancholic, kinda Archive-like sound)
    09 – Dark Tranquillity – Atoma (it’s dark tranquillity 😉
    10 – Spellcaster – Night hides the day

34. Booker says:

Darkend – The Canticle of Shadows. I had this on my bandcamp ‘wishlist’ since release. I use it just as a bookmarking system for things I mean to check out; it only ever gets longer. When I finally got around to listening to this a month or so ago I kicked myself for sitting on it so long. Probably album of the year for me. Reminds me of Shade Empire, but taken in a different direction.

Others in no particular order:
    Allegaeon – Proponent for Sentience
    Khonsu – The Xun Protectorate
    Anaal Nathrakh – The Whole Of The Law
    Myrkur – Mausoleum
    Sarcoptes – Songs and Dances of Death
    Schammasch – Triangle
    Fleshgod Apocalypse – King
    Zeal and Ardor – Devil Is Fine
    Acyl – Aftermath
    Wardruna – Runaljod: Ragnarok
    Youth Code – Commitment to Complications (thanks Wil Cifer!)
    Dormant Ideal – We Had It Coming
    Revocation – Great Is Our Sin
    Protean – The Burning Centuries

Albums I thought were ‘good’ but didn’t fully grab me as much as previous releases:
    Rotting Christ – Rituals
    Be’lakor – Vessels
    Meshuggah – The Violent Sleep Of Reason
    Mechina – Progenitor
    Gojira – Magma

Singles:
    Dymna Lotva – Самотны Чалавечы Голас (they released an album too, but I haven’t heard it yet)
    Kartikeya – The Golden Blades

My favourite ‘Late to the party’ album this year (pre-2016 release I only discovered in 2016):
    Obsequiae – Aria of Vernal Tombs

35. Arjan says:

Wow, already so many lists! 🙂 So much new shit to listen to!

My top 33:

29. Opeth – Sorceress
    30. Novembre – URSA
    31. October Tide – Winged Waltz
    32. Lessen – A Nebulous Being
    33. Countless Skies – New Dawn

• Arjan says:

I totally forgot about Clouds – Departe, which is an amazing doom record (à la Shape of Despair, Eye of Solitude, Saturnus) that is simply amazing.

36. Vacuity says:

In no particular order (probably will forget also a couple):

Furia – Księżyc milczy luty
    Escarnium – Interitus
    Lycus – Chasms
    Draugnim – Vulturine
    Wode – Wode
    Unfathomable Ruination – Finitude
    Imperium Dekadenz – Dis Manibvs

Probably in the end I would add some of the albums that were released not long ago, stuff like Antaeus, Bolzer and Aenaon.

37. 18342772 says:

Every album I loved and remembered to write down, in no order:

I-Fuath
    Thèmes pour la rébellion-Forteresse
    Torn Cold Void-Laspell
    Allir Vegir Til Glötunar-Naðra
    In the shadow of the wolf-Vordr
    Animus-Venom Prison
    Hunted-Khemmis
    Triumph of Gloom-Rebel Wizard
    Arctic Thunder-Darkthrone
    Commitment to Complications-Youth Code (not metal, but loud enough)
    Luciferian Fullmoon Necromancy-Lykaionas
    Without Providence-Reverend Brooks Wilson (not metal, but he’s the singer for Crypt Sermon)
    Nordjevel-Nordjevel
    Worms-Barbarian Swords
    The Year is One-Spiritus Mortis
    Oath-Kvlthammer
    Vermin Lord-Anguish
    Demon Summoning-Eternal Alchemist

38. Pierre says:

Cheers to you guys on letting the plebs have their say. As you’ll see from this list I get quite a lot of nice recommendations that would otherwise pass me by from this site. I’ve essentially given up on most other metal blogs which seem to be more concerned with who’s wearing a Metallica shirt nowadays and whatever the fuck Varg has to say about American elections. Keep up the great work! \m/

Anciients
    Black Crown Initiate (I don’t know why people aren’t digging this, mayhaps I have a man crush on Andy’s cleans)
    Blood Incantation
    Brujeria
    Colosso
    Dark Tranquility
    Johannes Grossmann
    Hanging Garden
    Hyperion
    In Mourning
    Katatonia
    Khemmis
    Meshuggah
    Mightiest
    Obscura
    Polyptych
    Terra Tenebrosa (The End is Mine to Ride is what I shave to every morning… true story)
    Ultar
    Wardruna
    Witchery
    Witherscape

Witherscape may be my favorite of the year. It’s certainly the album I’ve been spinning the most. Disappointment of the year certainly belongs to Gojira. There are 2, maybe 3 quality songs on that album, the rest is too lean, and sounds forced. My $.02

• TheTransmuted says:

Very pleased to see Polyptych make an appearance. On my list as well. Some great tech death made the rounds this year, and “Defying the Metastasis” may be the best of the lot.

• Pierre says:

Yeah definitely overlooked album. The song-writing is top-notch. It’s a great example of tech death that doesn’t sacrifice good grooves to show us how fast everyone in the band can noodle.

• Islander says:

Thanks for the kind words Pierre, and for the story about shaving to Terra Tenebrosa, which sounds like a very risky maneuver. 🙂

• Pierre says:

It’s possible that starting the day with The Cuckoo crooning about what I assume are the end times may sour my demeanor for the rest of the day. It’s definitely the cause of some uneven shaves. Cheers!

39. Lenny says:

Now that you mention it I happen to have mine ready to go. Although I’m still running across great stuff every day. Spellcaster and Sear Bliss should probably be on here but I literally just heard them.
    Cobalt was #1 all year since release and I thought there was no way they would be ousted, but then Hunted took over my life and I had to give it too them. Great year of music!

LPs
    20. Arkaik, Lucid Dawn

Eps
    Skeletonwitch, The Apothic Gloom
    Pallbearer, Fear And Fury
    Lord Mantis, Nice Teeth Whore

40. gary headlock says:

a non-exhaustive list of some favorites that come to mind immediately:

Gorguts – Pleiades Dust
    Zhrine – Unortheta (this is probably my number 1)
    DSO – Synarchy
    Mare Cognitum – Luminiferous Aether
    Selvans/Downfall of Nur – Split
    Virus – Memento Collider
    Liminal – Fugue
    The Wayward – Plutonic
    Mithras – On Strange Loops
    Neurosis – Fires Within Fires
    Aluk Todolo – Voix

41. C'Tholio says:

(since all my other favorites have been mentioned)

No love for SVARTELDER around here?

42. pfk505 says:

So far, and in no particular order

Battle Dagorath – I – Dark Dragons of the Cosmos
    Sojourner – Empires of Ash
    Sarcoptes – Songs And Dances Of Death
    Winterlore – Winterlore
    Draugnim – Vulturine
    Moonsorrow – Jumalten Aika

• pfk505 says:

In my haste I forgot two of the absolute best ones!

Thrawsunblat – Metacthonia, and
      Svirnath – Il Regno Della Natura

43. jccb says:

Well, in no particular order (and i’m sure i’ll forget some…) here they go:
    Monolithe-Zeta Reticuli
    RLYR-Delayer
    Hammers Of Misfortune-Dead Revolution
    First Fragment-Desain
    Astronoid-Air
    Obsidian Kingdom-A Year Without Summer
    Russian Circles-Guidance

Top 5 were probably Astronoid,Cult Of Luna, Hail Spirit Noir, Ancients and Entropia.
    Biggest dissapointments? I’d say Fleshgod Apocalypse, Alcest and Be’Lakor. I was just expecting so much more, especially from the last two…

44. Leon says:

Great lists so far! I really enjoyed many of these albums. To avoid repetition here’s some great stuff which has not been mentioned yet (I’m referring to album releases by these bands):
    – Latitudes
    – Blizaro
    – Wendess
    – Darkestrah
    – Mur
    – Book Of Sands
    – Haunter
    – Toska (well ok, this one’s an EP)
    – Funeral Moth
    – Subterranean Disposition
    – CB Murdoc
    – Internal Suffering
    – Fange
    – Black Fucking Cancer
    – Ahpdegma
    – Circle Of Ouroborus (Uskottomien Kirkossa / Tarpeeton)
    – Medevil
    – Cognizant
    – Odal
    – Seputus
    – Forgotten Spell
    – Goes Cube
    – Tardigrada
    – Helcaraxë
    – Jassa
    – Downfall of Nur & Selvans
    – Scum (because it has just been released this year, actually it’s a 90s release)

• jccb says:

Latitudes was great 😉

• Leon says:

Was a great year for post metal 🙂 latitudes (my favourite among these) cult of luna, sumac, russian circles, mouth of the architect, make, pyramido and ofc Neurosis! Post metal isnt dead yet 😀

• Kishor says:

Cognizant, hell yes. I also dig the new Wake, may be overshadowed by others though.

• brklyner says:

Great list! One day when I have a lot of free time I’m going to lock myself inside and listen to Jute Gyte until I can wrap my head around the music. I have a feeling it might be one of the best things I never had the patience to get into.

45. John M says:

Irkallian Oracle – Apollyon
    Schammasch – Triangle
    Vektor – Terminal Redux

46. Kim says:

Vlk – Of Wolves’ Blood
    Darkestrah – Turan
    Vektor – Terminal Redux (AotY)
    A.M.S.G – Hostis Universi Generis
    Daedalvs – Apotheosis
    Fromhell – March On Gravitation
    Mithras – On Strange Loops
    Balance Interruption – Door 218

EP
    Singularity – Void Walker

47. Sunter says:

Pretty much everything i got this year.

In alphabetical order:
    Mare Cognitum/Aureole – Resonance: Crimson Void
    Martröð – Transmutation of Wounds
    Neurotech – In Remission
    The Noumenon – Terminus
    Periphery – Periphery III: Select Difficulty
    Perturbator – The Uncanny Valley
    Perturbator – The Uncanny Valley (Expansion)
    Plebeian Grandstand – False Highs, True Lows
    Setentia – Darkness Transcend
    Slabdragger – Rise of the Dawncrusher
    Slice The Cake – Odyssey to the West
    Summit – The Winds That Forestall Thy Return
    Sunless – Demo
    Writhe – Writhe
    Wanzwa – Wanzwa IV
    Wormed – Krighsu
    The Zenith Passage – Solipsist
    Zhrine – Unortheta

• Kishor says:

Nice to see Setentia get a mention. That Sunless demo is wicked. And I’m personally gratified that you dug Crisis Actor enough to put it on a list. 🙂

48. Sean says:

This is what I’ve got on my running list for the year:

Latitudes – “Old Sunlight”
    Wildernessking – “Mystical Future”
    Batushka – “Litourgiya” (technically Dec 2015)
    Spotlights – “Tidals”
    Astronoid – “Air”
    Basement – “Promise Everything”
    Zeal and Ardor – “Devil is Fine”
    Gojira – “Magma”
    Russian Circles – “Guidance”
    Harakiri for the Sky – “III:Trauma”
    IOTUNN – “The Wizard Falls”
    Alcest – “Kodama”

I’m also partial to Oak Pantheon’s latest… but that doesn’t count. 😛

49. Ser Black Phillip says:

I haven’t ranked them yet, so here are 20 in no order whatsoever…

“Starspawn” – Blood Incantation
    “The Rest is Silence” – The Von Deer Skulls
    “Kodama” – Alcest
    “Arctic Thunder” – Darkthrone
    “The Irrepassable Gate” – Ash Borer
    “Yodh” – Mizmor
    “The Devil is Fine” – Zeal and Ardor

I didn’t include any EPs, but notable ones for me were from Gorguts, Grave Miasma, Voivod, Tombs, and Skeletonwitch (which was surprising, because I just couldn’t fathom them without Chance’s vocals)